Getting an ordinary divorce

The ordinary divorce service we offer is the process that must be used for couples who want to file for divorce but have children who are under 16 years of age. The grounds for this divorce procedure are: you will have been living apart from your spouse for at least one year and your spouse consents to the divorce, or you have been living apart for over two years in which case consent is not required. If your spouse has committed adultery or displayed unreasonable behaviour then these are other reasons you will be eligible to file for divorce following this procedure.

Scottish Divorce Online’s expert divorce consultants will assist you by preparing all your divorce paperwork and guiding you through the process, enabling you to file for divorce in Scotland following the ordinary procedure.

What to expect

On receipt of the order we will send you a questionnaire to fill out and return to us. This will allow us to prepare all the documents relating to your divorce.

To prepare your divorce paperwork for this service the following questions need to be considered in order for our consultants to assess your eligibility.

Do you or your spouse currently live in Scotland and have you been a resident at your current address for at least six weeks?

Have all financial matters relating to your divorce been agreed? Have you come to an agreement regarding custody of children with your spouse? Have you got a witness that can verify your separation?

We will send all relevant documents to you one at a time, with full instructions on how to submit them without the need to appear in court.

Once all documents are submitted the divorce should be confirmed in around 10 weeks.

The costs involved

The total cost of an ordinary divorce varies between £465 and £600.

Our fee is only £249 plus there are also court fees of £221 that have to be paid directly to the court, which would also have to be paid if you used a solicitor. If you are in receipt of certain benefits you may not have to pay the court fee.

Some courts allow you to serve the papers on your spouse personally and other don’t.

If the court you are using won’t accept this, you will have to pay sheriff officers fees of around £90 to serve the papers. There is potentially a further £40 fee for a notary public to co-sign your affidavit if this cannot be done by a JP.

If you need advice on whether a ordinary divorce is right for you, or would like to find out more about how we can help, please do not hesitate to contact us.